About the Guide to freedom of information
- We have recently published a FOI self assessment toolkit to to help public authorities respond to Freedom of Information (FOI) requests as organisations prepare to recover from the coronavirus pandemic.
- We have updated our guidance about refusing a request, and have changed the following sections:
- when you can use an exemption to neither confirm or deny you hold information, if to do so would disclose personal data; and
- when you can refuse a request because it contains personal data.
- We have also updated our guidance on section 27 - international relations.
In line with ‘Opennness by Design: The Information Commissioner’s strategic plan 2019/20-2021/22’, we have begun to review and update our Freedom of Information Guidance. Updates will be placed here when updated guidance is published.
This guide is for those who work for a public authority and have day-to-day responsibility for freedom of information.
It explains how to apply the Act by giving practical examples and answering frequently asked questions.